Healthcare professionals can benefit from a little help keeping their skills sharp. Indeed, from nurses to technicians to doctors, it can help to keep learning. You will be able to remain up to date with the latest developments in medicine and health, and you can learn the most recent techniques to better care for your patients. If you are interested in continuing your learning journey in healthcare, here are 50 excellent e-learning resources for healthcare professionals:
Medical Reference Sites
If you want to brush up on diagnoses, symptoms and learn the latest medical headlines, you can visit medical reference sites for a little help on remembering what you’ve learned, or learning new things.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Learn the latest information about different procedures, healthy living and more.
- Medline Plus: The National Institutes of Health offers a great reference that any healthcare professional can make use of.
- eMedicine: This is a clinical reference, continually updated, provided by Medscape.
- WebMD: Get a consumer perspective on medicine, and get synopses of the latest advancements in the world of healthcare.
- Mayo Clinic: Medical reference and news to help you learn more about health and treating patients.
- Medicine Online: Searchable answers to health questions, and information on drugs, health, surgery and more.
- Medical References: Find information and learn new things with help from the University of Maryland Medical Center.
- RXList: This is a helpful drug reference guide. Learn about drug interactions and more.
Journals and Scholarly Publications
One of the best ways to learn is to keep up with the latest studies and findings from peer-reviewed journals and scholarly publications on health and medicine. Here are online sources of healthcare information.
- Directory of Open Access Journals: Get access to open journals from around the world that can provide you insight into latest information.
- PubMed: Find the latest articles in prestigious publications related to healthcare and medicine.
- Free Medical Journals: Get access to scholarly articles on medicine and health from a variety of sources.
- HighWire Free Online Full-text Articles: Use these free articles on healthcare and medicine to expand your knowledge base.
- Carpenter Center Library: This library on the campus of Wake Forest University offers access to a number of journals and e-journals on health and medicine.
- The Lancet: Get new information from one of the foremost medical journals in the world.
- JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association: Offers paid and free articles on the latest developments in medicine and healthcare.
- American Journal of Health Education: Access the latest news in health education and learn something new.
- Medical Simulations: This eminently useful site takes you through different scenarios that can help you learn about different cases online.
- Online Case Studies: Learn more about pathology with these case studies from the University of Pittsburgh.
- Case Studies in Science: Study these real-life situations in different aspects of medicine.
- Pulmonary Case Studies: Loyola University offers interesting studies in the pulmonary system.
- Clinical Case Studies: These situations come from the University of Michigan and cover different areas relating to gross anatomy.
- Journal of Medical Case Reports: Learn about the latest case studies and reports.
- Clinical Case Studies: Another journal that offers a look at the latest case study and treatment reports.
- eHow: Follow this step by step plan to help you put together a proper care plan.
- Nursing Crib: Learn about the elements of a care plan, and learn how to formulate a quality treatment plan.
- Virtual Nurse: Get a look at what goes into a good treatment plan.
- RN Central: A list of care plans that can be used by a number of healthcare prfessionals — not just nurses.
- Wikipedia: Breaks down treatment plans in a way that is easy to understand.
- Careplans.com: See sample nursing plans, learn how to create one, and get an idea of what they can be used for.
- VCU Libraries: Look through treatment plans, learn about health assessment and more.
- Comprehensive Nursing Care Plans: You don’t have to be a nurse to appreciate the sample treatment plans and documents that can help you enhance your patient care.
Medical Open Courseware Collections
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health: Interesting courses on a number of medical situations and health concepts — for free.
- Harvard Medical School Open Courseware Initiative: Get access to medical lectures and more from Harvard.
- Health Sciences and Technology: MIT offers access to free classes on medical and health sciences.
- Tufts School of Medicine: Get open medical courseware classes from Tufts University.
- Health & Medicine Events: Watch web casts and lectures from UC Berkeley about health and medicine.
- Notre Dame: Get access to different courses related to medicine and public health from Notre Dame.
- Open Learning Initiative: Carnegie Mellon offers a number of courses related to science and medicine (including biology).
- University of Tokyo: Take English language open courseware classes on different subjects related to medicine.
- The Open University: Learn about health and medicine with the help of The Open University.
- Open Yale Courses: Take courses on chemistry, biomedical engineering and biology to help you learn more about health and medicine from Yale.
- University of Utah: Access open courseware classes about pharmacotherapy, psychology, biology and chemistry.
- Connexions: Learn more about health and illness with these courses from Connexions, with is associated with Rice University.
Online Education Communities
- Online Education Database: OEDb is one of the best resources for online learning.
- Learning Resources Network: Learn more about e-learning, and even about teaching e-courses.
- The eLearning Network: Chat with others about online learning, and get tips for e-learning.
- WorldWideLearn: Get access to resources about e-learning, including online degree opportunities.
- Study Guides and Strategies: Learn about being a more effective learner in a variety of circumstances.
- HowStuffWorks: Get a basic primer in how to increase your effectiveness at e-learning.
- The Babb Group: Get more information on e-learning, as well as online teaching.
If you enjoyed this article, please Save it on Delicious.